13 September 2012

when i grow up

I've always had a problem in deciding what I want to be "when I grow up." I always wanted to help people, change a few lives, impact the world, you know just your everyday stuff. I, however, had no idea how to do this. This summer I read a blog post called "Girls Girls Girls". I really really really hope that you'll take the time to read it (click on the title) because rarely has one piece of writing influence me as much as this did. I read it a couple months ago, and I have thought about it almost everyday since. It's made me want to maybe go into social work and help the girls. That maybe this is how I'll help the world, and I know it will be hard and dangerous and heartbreaking, but I've learned that everyone deserves to be treated well, and the day that I figured that out for myself was one of the best days of my life.  And those girls, they're just like me.

"My heart broke. I wanted to tell her how beautiful she was. I wanted to tell her she didn’t have to wear, do, or be anything that made her scared or uncomfortable or feel like less. I wanted her to know that while she had nothing to hide, she also had nothing that should be given away. I wanted to tell her I loved her."

No comments :

Post a Comment